The objective of the course is to understand Business communication and developing Business communication in the student.
Introduction to Communication
Meaning and Definition - Process - Functions - Objectives - Importance - Essentials of good communication - Communication barriers - Overcoming communication barriers
Types of Communication
Written - Oral - Face-to-face - Silence - Merits and limitations of each type
Need and functions of business letters - Planning & layout of business letter - Kinds of business letters- Essentials of effective correspondence
Drafting of business letters
Enquiries and replies - Placing and fulfilling orders - Complaints and follow-up - Sales letters – Circular letters - Application for employment and resume
Meaning, nature and scope - Principles of effective oral communication - Techniques of effective speech- Media of oral communication (Face-to-face conversation - Teleconferences - Press Conference -Demonstration - Radio Recording - Dictaphone - Meetings - Rumour - Demonstration and Dramatisation - Public address system - Grapevine - Group Discussion - Oral report - Closed circuit TV). The art of listening - Principles of good listening.
Information Technology for Communication
Word Processor - Telex - Facsimile(Fax) - E-mail - Voice mail - Internet – Multimedia - Teleconferencing - Mobile Phone Conversation - Video Conferencing - SMS - Telephone Answering Machine - Advantages and limitations of these types.
Topics Prescribed for workshop/skill lab
i) Group Discussion
ii) Mock Interview
iii) Decision Making in a Group
iv) Written Communication
- Business Communication: Building Critical Skills by Kitty O. Locker and Stephen Kaczmarek.
- Business Communication: Process and Product by Mary Ellen Guffey and Dana Loewy.
- Business Communication (Harvard Business Essentials) by Harvard Business School Press.
- Essentials of Business Communication by Mary Ellen Guffey.
- Business Communication Today (10th Edition) by Courtland L. Bovee and John V. Thill.