JOB and RESEARCH:
Teaching Structural geology, Tectonics and Geo-environment at the postgraduate and undergraduate levels at Kumaun University, Nainital since 1990 (about 25 years) as one of the main subjects.
My research work of about twenty five years embodies structural and tectonic investigations, i.e. meso to micro tectonics, including neotectonics and hazard zonation of landslides of Himalayan Mountains, Ladakh and Karakoram region. My structural studies (1985-2012) confirm the existence of a regional thrusts, e.g. the Main Central Thrust, North Almora Thrust, South Almora thrust, Ramgarh Thrust and many tear faults (Pant, 1990, Pant et al., 1992, Pant, 1995, Pant et al., 2004, 2009, Pant and Chauhan, 2010, Pant et al., 2012); however, neotectonic, morphotectonic and seismotectonic studies (1989-2010) contributed to the tectonic rejuvenation of regional thrust and faults (Pant 1990; Pant et al., 1992, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, Pant et el., 2012, 2014).
Landslide hazard zonation studies (1989-2009) confirm the hazard prone areas in northern Kumaun (Pant, 1990, Pant, 1992, Pant et al., 1996, Pant and Luirei, 1999, 2002, 2006, Pant and Kothiyari, 2010, Pant et al. 2014).
The detailed study of talc and magnesite mineralization and its relation to Himalayan tectonic setting has helped in understanding paragenesis of the mineralization, particularly in Bageshwar Dist. of Kumaun division (Pant and Pandey, 2008, 2009a, 2009b).
MEMBERSHIP OF LEARNED SOCIETIES/ BODIES:
1. International Association of Structural and Tectonic Geologists (ASTG)
2. Geological Society of India (GSI)
3. Himalayan Geology, (WIHG)
4. Central Himalayan Environment Association (CHEA)
5. Indian Structural Geology and Tectonic Group (ISGT)
SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE ATTAINMENTS:
1. Controller of examination, Uttarakhand Open University, Haldwani
2. Member expert committee ugc-sap programme
3. member secretary U-SET, uttarakhand
4. Joint Director (Science), Directorate R & E, Kumaun university (2012-till date )
5. Additional Comptroller of examination, Kumaun University (2010-2012)
6. hony. Secretary, Central Himalayan Environment Association (CHEA), (2009- till date)
7. Secretary Kumaun University Teacher’s Association (KUTA) (2009-2011)
8. Assistant Proctor, DSB Campus (2003-2010)
9. Assistant DSW, DSB CAMPUS (1999- 2003)
Research Areas :
- Structural Geology and Tectonics: Microtectonics and Neotectonics
- Landslide Hazard Zone Mapping