The introduction to the fundamental of computers, Operating system, Networking and DBMS.
Unit 1: Fundamentals of Computers
Information and concepts of Information Technology, Data Representation: Representation of Characters in Computers, Representation of Integers, Representation of Fractions, Hexadecimal representation of Numbers, Decimal to Binary conversion, Error Detecting Codes, Computer Memory-Memory Cell, Memory Organization, Read only Memory, Serial Access Memory, Random Access Memory, Registers, Physical Devices used to construct Memories, Different secondary storage devices and Magnetic media devices, Internal and external storage devices.
Unit 2: Operating Systems
Operating System concepts, Structures, Files, Directories, Process and Memory management. Concepts of algorithms, Basics of data structures, arrays, stacks, and queues.
Unit 3: Basics of Networking
Computer network, LAN, WAN, MAN. Internet, Intranet, Categories of networks, Client/Server model, OSI & TCP/IP models, Network topology, switch, router, firewall, security.
Unit 4: Database Management Systems
Database, Database system levels of abstractions in DBMS, Principles of database. Introduction to data organization, information management system, relational constraints, introduction to RDBMS, normalization and SQL.
- Computer System Architecture, M.M. Mano, PHI
- Digital logic and Computer Design, M.M. Mano
- “Operating Systems Design and Implementation”, Prentice-Hall India publication.
- Data Communications and networking by Behrouz A. Forouzan, Tata McGrawHill.
- “Fundamentals of Database Systems”, by Elmasri Navathe, Somayajulu & Gupta , Pearson Education Publication.